Current Prices, Historical Series and Forecasts in Several Countries
Chart Description. Intratec provides Silicone prices in several countries, as follows:
Chart Instructions. Hover the mouse over the series to view the respective Silicone prices plotted. You can filter a given Silicone price series by clicking on the respective legend label, right above the chart.
About Silicone. Silicone is a class of polymers, in which silicon atoms are linked via oxygen atoms, each silicon atom bearing one or several organic groups (usually methyl or phenyl in industrial production). Silicon compounds are quite abundant in nature, but silicones are not found naturally. They were first synthetized in 1930, with industrial production beginning nine years later and growing rapidly in the years that followed, a result of the high demand for silicones in World War II. Currently, they have a wide variety of commercial forms and applications, ranging from automotive to pharmaceutical industries.
Chemical Formula. [—OSiR2—]n, R not equal to H
Commercial Grades. Fluids; emulsions; solutions; resins; pastes; elastomers; powders
Uses. Silicone is mainly employed in medical implants; heat transfer media; water proofing agent; lubricants; adhesives; contact lenses; soaps; inks; cosmetics; surfactants; dental molds; paper; and textile coating.
- Dimethylsiloxane oligomers + strong acid (such as hydrochloric acid or sulfuric acid) + strong base (such as sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide) + silicon tetrachloride (polycondensation)
- Dimethylsiloxane oligomers + trichlorophenylsilane/trichloromethylsilane + silicon tetrachloride (Grignard reaction followed by hydrolysis and polymerisation)
- Cyclic oligodiorganosiloxanes + strong base (such as sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide) + silicon tetrachloride (ring opening polymerization)
- Siloxane (emulsion polymerization)
To know more about Silicone production processes, click here.
Derivatives. silicone fluids; silicone liquid-injection-molding rubber; foam rubber; silicone resins; silicone oils; organosilicone coating products; and RTV silicone compounds.
Methodology. The pricing data presented are, if not otherwise indicated, volume-weighted average transaction prices including contract and spot transactions in the locations specified. The information provided is obtained from gathering and refining of trade data officially reported for the respective countries (i.e., governmental agencies, institutions related to foreign trade and industry publications). For further details check our Methodology.
Access Free Samples
- More Recent Silicone Prices
- Prices in Several Countries
- Immediate Access
Subscribe for Full Access
- Prices for Silicone & Forecasts
- Downloadable Data (Excel Format)
- Customizable Charts
- Prices for 31 Other Chemicals